Friday, July 31, 2009

"we have to give 'em hope"

So last night after blogging away I went to bed, but not asleep. I journaled for a good 5 pages then pulled out the family laptop my dad bought but never uses. I rented Milk last night right, well it's a freaking amazing movie. That's what this post is dedicated too.

Harvey Milk
The first openly gay man to be elected to public office. Supervisor in San Fransico.
Now in the movie Mr. Milk is played by Sean Penn, but he does an amazing job. The movie covers the story of 9 years of Harvey's life, 40 - 49 as told by the man himself. It takes him from a closeted 39 year old man in New York who meets a young man in the subway... and take him home. From there dreams are born, of equality and openess. The movie flicks back and forth between Hollywood film ft. Sean Penn and footage from the 70's, where it was all happenin. The band of gay men who take a camera shop and turn it into the hub of the revolution. The love these men have for each other, and the single woman on the campaign is extrodinary. It's a truly eye-opening film that everyone should watch. It's not only a perspective enhanser but it's also just like a good movie.
Some of my favorite characters....

Anne Kronenburg

"I've been telling Harvey we need some hard ass dykes around here"

"well now you've got one"


Cleve Jones


"sorry old man but I'm leaving for Spain tomorrow,
Europe and all the money I need
is right here in my back pocket"
MILK.
RENT IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment